Monday, January 3, 2011

Italia Rome Edition

Italy has always been my number one must see place in Europe, I knew with having the family in England I'd always be able to get to France in some capacity but Italy was THE place that I'd heard time and time again from my parents, travel shows, art lectures and just plain history that is a must see place. I believe I even have a note scribbled in my travel book that says 'must see Venice before it goes underwater'.
We first did a rainy day stop over in Pisa (to see the Leaning Tower of course) then on to Rome to find our hot hostel and be kept awake by the loud music streaming from across the road. The next few days were spent seeing the sights and picking up some tips along the way for fighting the crowds (and heat) in the late August high tourist season.
First, think shade. My Canadian friend Dayna that I was traveling with was pleasantly surpised at my ability to avoid the sun, once we'd figured out what direction we had to head in for the next stop along our tourist route I'd get us there by jig-jaging the road and staying close to under the trees as much as possible. Lets call it Aussie instinct.
Another tip which Dayna received from a guy in the communal bathroom in the hostel was to buy the combined ticket for the Colosseum and Roman forum & Palatine hill at the latter of the attractions. Far less of a line and that way you get to see both of the amazing ruins instead of lining up for 2 and a half hours.

The third tip for Rome that I have is to take a drink bottle everywhere you go and whenever you see a fountain/bubbler fill it up with the wet stuff! Will save a bunch of money on bottled water, it's safe and cool!
Do you have any great travel tips?

3 comments:

  1. I love these photos, it looks amazing!!
    From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Italy a few times, and I have to admit I didn't like the bigger cities. Rome, Florence, Pisa.. too touristy, crowded and expensive for me! I really enjoyed the smaller towns around Lake Garda. Limone, Malcesine, Sirmione.. such great little towns! Still kinda touristy, but filled with culture & historical awesomeness as well an much less crowded :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way Tami- check out my newest post
    http://camerasandcupcakes.blogspot.com/2011/01/italia-amalfi-coast-edition.html

    ReplyDelete